Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pleasures for the “Simple” Minded


“Hoarding” was the topic on Oprah a few weeks ago. I felt smothered and claustrophobic just watching it. I could only stand it so long, and then I decided to step over my piles of laundry and papers, out to my flower beds which always revive me.  But alas,  they had the same symptoms as the house spotlighted on TV.

Hardy perennials were overgrown, Calendulas crowded their neighbors, and oregano spilled out of its allotted space like a tangled green octopus.  Inspired by the show, I started pulling out the overgrown and over productive plants, giving their less assertive neighbors more space, air, and sun.  I filled a whole wheel barrow in about 15 minutes, and it made such a difference.  There is something very liberating and need-satisfying about cleaning things out.  Everything needs space to breath and grow whether they be plants, homes, or teenagers. 

My Corner Contribution of recycled clutter that week only consisted of three things: an end table and two towels, but I was so glad when someone came by and retrieved them, and my front room now has a little more space because of it.  As I watched Oprah I was dumbfounded that anyone would literally have clothes piled high in EVERY room of their 3 level house.   I couldn’t help but think of all the humanitarian programs in need of good clothing.  That woman needed a cause to help her overcome her addiction so she and her husband simplify and reclaim their lives.  My worst nightmare would be to leave this life, with a huge mess for my children to take care of.  If we live another 20 years, maybe we’ll have the garage cleaned out!

After watching “The Hoarding Horror Movie," I next decided to clean out a corner shelf in our family room.  I found two undelivered wedding gifts, three misplaced recipe books, seven errant quilting books, and then Bonanza!-- a Prevention Magazine titled “The Simpler Way.” 


Just the titles of the articles confirmed my recent efforts:
--Cut the clutter and have more “breathing Space”.  (Already I know my plants are happier!)
--Rev-up your energy and feel great! (Ripping out weed and overgrowth --What a rush!)
--Say Good-bye to Personal “Money Robbers!”  (We become rich because of the things we do without, not because the things we buy.)
--And Move into a Larger House—Without Moving!  (When there is less “stuff” in a house, it’s less stuffed, and it is bigger!)

Simple living is the goal of provident living, and without knowing it most of us have built layers and layers of complexity around us.  We have more gadgets, appliances, CDs, toys, and tools than we can keep track of, much less store.   Gandhi once wrote, “There is more to life than increasing its speed.”  When we declutter we let go of the things that entangle us, so we can “stroll” through life with greater grace and ease.  That means getting rid of entanglements.


  Another great mind, Albert Einstein knew a few things also about being focused and organized.  His mantra:
--Out of clutter, find simplicity
--From discord, find harmony
--In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.


While you work to reclaim your life and your home, it helps to change things up throughout the work day.  A 20 minute nap is a great recharger.   Mix seat work, with tasks that require movement.  And them Mom’s famous quote: “A change is as good as a rest,” which I truly believe.  Well, that’s the summary of that little booklet, which was really designed to sell a bigger book…now it’s processed and tossed away, and I feel good-- and motivated!  Hope you do too.  Let me hear about your success stories: 42janetkw@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment